[ldapvi] Size Limit

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Wed Feb 28 00:31:18 CET 2007

Hi,

Quoting Bjorn Oglefjorn (sys.mailing at gmail.com):
> I'm using ldapvi 1.6 and having an issue where I exceed the size limit since
> my ldap has grown to over 2000 records. I've tried setting SIZELIMIT in
> ~/.ldaprc and /etc/ldap.conf with seemingly no effect. Please advise.

in my tests ldapvi does not impose any size limits at all, even if
SIZELIMIT is specified in one of those configuration files.

However, what you are seeing is that a size limit is imposed even though
ldapvi does not enable any such limit.

My guess would be that you are hitting a server-side limit, not a limit
requested by the client.  For example, as far as I understand its
documentation, OpenLDAP has two kinds of limits that can be specified in
slapd.conf, a "soft" limit that is used if the client sets no other
limit, and a "hard" limit that restricts the number of results no matter
what the client requested.  If you are exceeding the hard limit, there
is little ldapvi can do about that.

If, however, you are just hitting the soft limit, this would be because
ldapvi never sets a limit, so the soft limit kicks in.  So in that case
I would have to add size limit support only to get around the
server-side limit...  I hadn't thought about that before. :-)

Now, the first step would be to figure out what kind of limit it is in
your case.  Can you try an experiment for me?  Please run the same
search using the ldapsearch command line tool instead of ldapvi.  Make
sure to specify a high size limit in the config file, just as you
already tried to.

If ldapsearch returns more results than ldapvi, it might be because of a
server-side soft limit issue, and I will look at ldapvi to see what
needs to be changed to make it behave like ldapsearch.

Thanks,
David