[ldapvi] Ldapvi 1.6 doesn't detect value reordering changes

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Mon May 7 16:12:42 CEST 2007

Hi,

Quoting Aleksander Adamowski (aleksander.adamowski at gmail.com):
> When all changes to an LDAP object during Ldapvi session are related to
> reordering attribute's values, Ldapvi doesn't detect that as a change and
> treats the object as unchanged - so those changes cannot be applied to the
> directory.

ldapvi was not designed to preserve the order of attribute values, nor
treat changes in the order of attribute as a change that needs to be
committed to the server.

RFC 2251 says about the Attribute sequence as used in AddRequest:

   4.1.8. Attribute

   [...]

   Each attribute value is distinct in the set (no duplicates).  The
   order of attribute values within the vals set is undefined and
   implementation-dependent, and MUST NOT be relied upon.

Now, there is no statement to that effect for the Modify operation, but
if attribute values are expressly unordered when adding an entry, I
would argue that neither servers nor clients are expected to treat the
order of values as significant later on either.

Now, I am quite willing to believe that a random paragraph from an LDAP
RFC has little meaning as far as the real world is concerned.

What client or server are you using that cares about this?

Thanks,
d.