[ldapvi] Portability issue: setenv missing on Solaris 8

Dagobert Michelsen dam at blastwave.org
Wed Mar 26 13:18:53 CET 2008

Hi David,

Am 26.03.2008 um 12:09 schrieb David Lichteblau:

> Quoting Dagobert Michelsen (dam at blastwave.org):
>> I am trying to build a package for ldapvi for Blastwave
>> which requires building on Solaris 8. Unfortunately
>> Solaris 8 doesn't have setenv which is used in ldapvi.
>> It would be better to check for the presence of
>> setenv during configure and substitute it with putenv
>> from gnulib if necessary. See for details
>>    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html#module=setenv>
>
> do you have a patch for me or should I try to write a patch and
> send it
> to you for testing?  I don't currently have access to Solaris, so I
> wouldn't be able to test this myself.

Sorry, no patch from me as my autoconf skills are limited.

> Gnulib shouldn't be needed if Solaris has putenv.  We could just call
> putenv instead of setenv.

Yes, putenv is there, even in Solaris 8:

      #include <stdlib.h>
      int putenv(char *string);

As it would be nice to have DESTDIR-support have you thought
about including this patch?

   <http://lists.askja.de/pipermail/ldapvi/2007-July/000031.html>

Best regards

   -- Dagobert