[ldapvi] ldapvi --diff

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Thu Aug 11 12:57:32 CEST 2011

Quoting Keith Edmunds (kae at midnighthax.com):
> I've clearly misunderstood how it should be used. I've managed to find
> another way of doing what I needed, but may I suggest the manual be
> updated to give an example of using --diff?

It's not really documented, because it only offers the sort of file
comparison needed by ldapvi itself internally.

The reason it fails to diff files in LDIF format is that it specifically
compares the internal ldapvi format, not actual LDIF.

What should work is when you do:

ldapvi --out .... >ldapvi-format-before.txt
ldapvi --out .... >ldapvi-format-after.txt
ldapvi --diff ldapvi-format-before.txt ldapvi-format-after.txt

(I haven't used any of this in a long time, but that's my recollection.)

d.